Friday, October 8, 2010

Eva Eva Eva EVERLAND

Sick new Deadmau5 song. Deadmau5 was in ATL last week and I missed them =( I wished I coulda been there.


I've been talking a lot about what I do outside of work lately, so I'll dedicate this post to what I actually do at work.

I've been working close to 60 hour weeks lately and it's not that bad. I work in a clean room working with lasers and optics conducting some experiments and junk. The cool thing is I get to wear a bunny suit and burn holes in paper among other things with lasers. The not so cool part is when you have to go to the bathroom in a bunny suit. You have to go through an air lock which blows air at you to clean you, take off your footies, take off the suit, go outside the room and put your shoes back on, then up a flight of stairs to take a piss. Then you do it in reverse to go back to work. It isn't the greatest system in the world. Here is what a bunny suit looks like if you don't know what it is...and that is not me, we can't take pictures inside the complex remember.
Anyway, work is fun and I'm learning a ton like a good little intern should... I drink a lot of Pocari Sweat to get me through the day. What's Pocari Sweat you ask? 
I'm not really sure what a Pocari is and the deal with its sweat, but I do need my supply of ions for the day. Apparently, it's from Japan. I would classify it as a Gatorade/Powerade competitor. Kinda tastes like a mild Fresca and blue Powerade mixed together.

One day last week while I was sippin' on my Pocari Sweat, I was notified that it was GWP day. GWP day pretty much means team workshop day aka a free day. We do some community service event then something fun for the rest of the afternoon. So after lunch, our whole department (~100 people) went to the river next to our complex and picked up some trash for about 30 minutes. Then we made mud balls for the river for the next 30 minutes. The mud balls are some sort of phenomenon sweeping Southeast Asia. They are called EM Mudballs from Japan. So you take a bunch of dirt, add a molasses type liquid (its like molasses, except not as thick), then you add the "bacteria." The bacteria are microorganisms that make the river clean. Once you have the mud mixture, you use your hands to knead the mud like dough. Then you make balls out of the mud about the size of a baseball. After all that, you throw it in the river and as the river erodes away the balls, the bacteria is released into the river to clean it. It was an experience to say the least, and my hands smelled like molasses for a good two days afterwards after washing off the mud. I guess it's the cost of saving the world one river at a time.

After we finished our community service, the whole group went to EVERLAND!
Everland is the equivalent to Disneyland and Korea's largest theme park. Samsung also owns it so we got the hookup. We were placed in groups of 10 to do a scavenger hunt to continue our team building. One of our events was to take a picture with a foreigner haha. I don't understand, but this is a big thing here. I've had my picture taken with Koreans randomly on the streets of Seoul before because I am a foreigner. Apparently, it's more common in Japan. 

We had the whole afternoon at Everland and it was epic. The T Express made the whole afternoon though. The T Express is a landmark wooden roller coaster. Here are some facts I wiki'd: 
  • South Korea's first wooden roller coaster
  • World's steepest wooden roller coaster (77 degrees)
  • Drop : 57m (7th in the world)
  • Attraction time : 3min 00sec (the longest in Asia, 7th in the world)
  • Air time : 12 times (the most air times in South Korea)
  • Altitude : 56m (the highest in Asia, 3rd in the world)
  • Maximum Speed : 104km/h (the fastest in Asia, 8th in the world)
This ride was redonkulous. I'm not gonna lie, but an almost vertical drop is exhilarating. 
We also saw tigers and Jackass Penguins!
So after spending the day looking at animals and riding the rides, we had a group dinner at Holland Land inside Everland. Each group shared their pictures from the scavenger hunt over German food and German beer. Great way to end an exceptional day. Rest of my pics from the Everland trip are in the South Korea album on my webpage (sea otters...)
coworkers on water ride
Everland
I'm also on the OSU webpage. One of my friends over the summer interned with me at Motorola and put up some pictures of us. I just made OSU about 5 times more appealing. Check it out, pictures 30 and 33 on the slideshow.


No comments:

Post a Comment